Listen Live

Current Weather

Italy’s former PM Berlusconi readmitted to hospital – sources

SHARE NOW

By Giulio Piovaccari

MILAN (Reuters) – Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has been readmitted to a hospital in Milan, four sources said on Friday, just weeks after being discharged after a long stay.

Two of the sources told Reuters that Berlusconi was taken to San Raffaele hospital for medical checks. Italian SkyTG24 channel reported that after the tests his doctors decided he would stay the night.

San Raffaele did not immediately confirm he would stay overnight.

Berlusconi, 86, left San Raffaele last month after six weeks of treatment for a lung infection linked to a chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia, a type of cancer that affects the white blood cells.

His health has markedly deteriorated in recent years, with open-heart surgery in 2016 and numerous hospital admissions since contracting COVID-19 three years ago.

He served as prime minister in 1994-1995, 2001-2006 and 2008-2011 and although he doesn’t have a direct role in government, his Forza Italia party is a member of Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s right-wing coalition.

Shares in MFE-MediaForEurope, which is controlled by the Berlusconi family, extended gains after the news and were trading up over 2% around 1342 GMT.

“Come on Silvio,” Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini, one of Berlusconi’s main political allies, wrote in an Instagram post, commenting the news of Berlusconi’s hospitalisation.

(Reporting by Angelo Amante, Emilio Parodi, Federico Maccioni and Stefano Bernabei, editing by Toby Chopra and Nick Macfie)

Brought to you by www.srnnews.com